Monday, May 7, 2012

O Death, Where Is Thy Sting?

I had an interesting experience on Friday that I wanted to share

My oldest sister was graduating from the University of Utah with her Masters in Education, and my parents flew in this week to attend the ceremony. On Friday afternoon, after eating out in celebration for the graduation, my parents and I went to visit my mom's aunt: Melenaite.

Melenaite is one of those old Tongan ladies that is funny in their own subtle quiet way. From what I remember of my grandma (her sister, who died when I was 8) they look exactly alike.

Anyways, as we all sat around her kitchen table, my mom and her started speaking to each other in Tongan. I don't know the language very well, so I stopped paying attention, and just sat lost in my own thoughts. My dad picked up the Tongan bible on her table, and started reading from it. I slowly starting picking up some Tongan words I did recognize though. Words like 'Otua' (God), 'Ngaue' (work) or 'Mooni' (truth). And my curiousity peaked.

I looked at the book and could make out the word 'Kolonito' and asked if it was 'Corinthians.' After my great aunt nodded and smiled, I turned on my iPod and found the reference in my English scriptures. My dad was reading the end of 1 Cor 15: the joy of death being swallowed up on victory.

My eyes watered a little and my throat went dry. My father was reading probably the most beautiful piece of verse to an old lady who would soon approach death; reading to her about how her body would be raised to immortality because of the sacrifice of Christ. What joy! "Oh death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" and what made the whole situation even more touching to me was the mere fact that he was reading to her in her native tongue.

I could see the flame of testimony in her eyes. When my dad was done, I took the scriptures and read my own favorite new testament verses which i had just skimmed that morning: Romans 8:31;35-39. ('If God be for us, who can be against us?' and 'Nothing can separate you from the Love of God who is in Christ Jesus, our Lord')

As I read I felt a little foolish because my Tongan was slow and I knew I did not understand every word.. and was probably not pronouncing some of them right, either. But I read for HER; and I read because I knew what I was reading was a powerful testimony of God's love and I wanted her to feel of it just as I had that morning.

When I was done, we all talked about what words meant what in English, and I again saw the testimony in her eyes light up. I even noticed that some of my own favorite verses were underlined in her scriptures.. and then it hit me. It doesn't matter who you are, what culture you come from, or EVEN what time period your life has seemed to have taken place: the gospel of Jesus Christ is for everyone. The love of God is the same for everyone, and most importantly it is meant for everyone. He is no respecter of persons. It doesn't matter who you are. It's for every single one of God's children and all are invited to partake of it freely. It really was a remarkable experience. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this! You are such an incredible person - your family also sounds great. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It is comforting to remind myself that the love of God is the same for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very sweet experience! I love you, Yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete